Another Another

Hey!! I remember this film!

Great to see it again, and on Newgrounds, no less. :)

Still a great story after the years it's been since I saw this last. Really, the story is just as great and individual as the animation itself. Feels like the story has been told before, but really, I can't think of where or when, except for this film.

Btw, I love your art style, it rocks.

Faved!

The Adventures of WillieD The Adventures of WillieD

I LOVE IT.

It seamlessly combines the genres of comedy, drama, and thriller into an engaging, full blown animation that really speaks for itself.

I'm absolutely blown away. It's groundbreaking.

WillieD891 responds:

:Exile Vilify (Portal 2): :Exile Vilify (Portal 2):

What a beautiful flash. A sight to behold.

Where do I begin?

I was wondering when more people were going to begin appreciating the quality music from The National: with this submission, I guess I know now. This is my favorite song in the whole game; it's amazing. I want to thank you for taking the time to make an equally amazing video. It's slightly dark, touching, sad, and is a great adaption of the web-comic it's based off of.

The animation is glorious in so many ways. The models are beautifully designed, very nice to look at, and they just have a great style. The drawings are fantastic and match the models very well. Also, the timing of the animation matched up with the song very well, so kudos for that.

I think my only criticism is that Rat Man's torso movement seems slightly awkward and unnatural when he's running. It just looked... funky.

Overall, I think this is possibly my favorite AMV for any song posted to Newgrounds. I also hope this better informs people of The National's existence.

Absolutely incredible job, mate. I had to favorite this. This is one of the best things submitted to the portal, in my personal opinion.

Milo Physics Milo Physics

Sort of... cute. :)

The art is nice and simple but, typical of most physics games, it has that childish style. The colors are outside of the shapes or don't fill in the entire shape. Seriously, though: A bunch of these physics games have that same old kiddy look. :/ It's still not half bad, I guess.

The audio is fantastic... ESPECIALLY the music, in my opinion. It's so youthful, fitting, and fun. It reminds me of a game I'd played a long time ago which had similar music that really stuck with me through the years, which I think is why I love it so much. This is my favorite thing about the game, oddly. The sounds work well with the game and I have no real complaints about them.

The coding isn't the best, actually. Sometimes a shape will go right through another shape without reason. That's the biggest problem with the game, but also the only one a could really record.

Overall, it's not half bad, but the coding needs a bit of improvement. Huge kudos on the music, however. :)

Carve n' Share Carve n' Share

This is rather addicting, really!

I say that because it presents a challenge where the artist, or I suppose carver, rather, has only 2 "shades"- carved or uncarved. This is what I think makes it so fun. Or it could just be Halloween spirit. Or both. :)

The graphics (not what the user carves (which sometimes seems to be a lot of... explicit, shall we say... things)) are very nice, PoxPower. :) I love the lo-fi, unaliased look of it all. Good job on that!

Though there isn't much to say about it, the audio is very good. :) The music is subtle but quite nice indeed. I don't think you could've picked a better song for this. I may have to put that one on my iPod, in fact... The sounds are nice as well, and aren't noisy and/or distracting.

Like I've said before, this, to me, is VERY addicting. I love how you have to compromise to get the right shapes and forms you want. It's a little weird why some pieces don't fall off when cut around but it's fine with me; that just means more versatility!

I do have some minor complaints, though. It'd be nice if the pointers for the carving knife and bandage tools were slightly more visible, and also an option to make the knife and bandage tools visible or invisible.

Overall, I think you've done a great job, Evil-Dog and PoxPower. :) This is a really entertaining little flash. Also, this has gotten me into the Halloween spirit even more than I already was before I tried this nifty flash out. :D

Oh yes, and pre-faved btw! *Thumbs up*

Epic Combo! Epic Combo!

Oy, addictive!

The graphics aren't the strong point of the game, and aren't very fancy, but they work, concerning the player would probably be paying more attention to the gameplay and the epic combo they're getting. The animation is simple but pretty good.

The audio is good. The music is catchy and the sounds fit.

The game's strength is that it's very addicting and fun. Watching your combo go up is... well... epic. :D

Overall I had a lot of fun playing this! Faving this, because I'll probably come back to it one day from looking through my favorite flashes and say "Hey, I remember this! This game was awesome." :) Great job, man!

Ironesque Valley Ironesque Valley

Very interesting. Nice use of sounds!

The song definitely creates an interesting atmosphere, with plenty of unique, monotonous sounds and noises. The image I get in my head is standing on a white balcony, on a huge world so far outside of the boundaries of space... where time is somehow 15 years late. On that balcony, I watch an image of myself from behind. The image stands on a white balcony at the Blue Hour, staring down an endless path, lined by endless gardens. The balcony, the path, and the gardens are the only things on this flattened world that are actually there. The image of myself is only an apparition of where I stood 1 long year ago... on that balcony. Next year, I'll see an appartion of where I currently stand. The wind constantly blows and howls like a tornado, yet there's not a storm in sight. The temperature feels cold, and has the same sensation of being frostbitten... yet the feeling is almost cozy. Despite the stagnancy of this world, I feel like I've landed on the world where all of mankind's imagination gathers. I feel like, on this world, I can find anything I want to. I feel like I can find things from the past that no longer exist. I feel like I can go back in time and observe how mankind progressed in that age. I feel like I haven't unlocked the world's potential, no matter how empty it seems.

I feel timeless.

Anyway, I enjoyed the song! I like the feel of it, and I had a lot of fun creating the images in my head along with the song. Great work, buddy. :D Can't wait for your new album!

FatKidWitAJetPak responds:

Awesome imagery man! The whole "timeless" theme is something that seems to be present in many of my tracks, simply because the feeling of isolation seems to feel "dark" and "endless" to where everything seems "unkown" and "forever", making time non-exsistant. Trippy stuff haha ;)

Nutronic - Run Away Nutronic - Run Away

Easily one of the best songs posted to Newgrounds.

I love this. When the singing came in, I was immediately impressed. The first thing I thought was "ROB SWIRE!"

It has the same great vibes that Pendulum's got. I'm thoroughly impressed with this song: this is quality stuff. I'd like to see UKF Drum and Bass promote this.

Totally faved this. Absolutely fantastic work, mate. :)

Survivors in the Red Dot Survivors in the Red Dot

Hm... this is kind of neat.

I really like the piano in the beginning and at the end, along with the sound of the pouring rain. Also, at around 1:38 or so, I the style change was pretty cool. :)

The only parts I don't really like were, first off, how quickly everything faded out at 4:16. Second, the switch from styles right in the middle of the song was a little strange, and could've used some more progression between styles. Other than those, it's a neat experimental sounding track!

RealCharacter responds:

yeah I updated it and forgot to export the song so I'll fix it and post later next week.

spiky spiky

Not bad!

I'm not coming from a know-it-all's POV, but I can hopefully give some thoughts and advice:

1.) The shadow under the table should probably be a little more linearly-shaped, to match the table. I think you were going for a textured look, but got a little carried away, which warped the physical shape of the shadow cast by the light hitting the table. Squinting your eyes, it doesn't look too bad, but when you focus in on the details, it's harder to sell. The shadow has a few dips and rises: to justify this, it would imply that the table itself wasn't straight-edged.
I find the best way to make texture apparent is to use it on the edge of the shadow, and not really at all on the inside, which would imply there are holes in the table that are letting light through to break up the shadow. See that good-sized blotch of brown in the shadow by her knee? I would make that a much darker shade, or just change it entirely to the shadow color... either way, try to make those blotches more-closely matching the shadow area, because--if you were shown nothing but the shadow and not the table--you might assume that the table the shadow belongs to had a hole there.

The take away: Try to make shadows more faithfully mimic the shape of the object they belong to. :) Texture edges before the inside, if you texture the inside at all, which I don't really do, unless very lightly. (A note: In darkness, you will find less contrast between values, hues, chromas, etc. This means that extra care is required when trying to pick out a color in darkness, as a little change goes a LOOOONG way.

2.) The table itself looks is a little thin: it looks like perhaps it has the thickness of plywood, so I would say to double or triple its thickness. :)

3.) Her elbow doesn't seem to be fully (if at all) resting on the table. Out of curiosity, did you start building the character without a plan, or did you start with a pose made up of simple shapes to get the proportions figured out first? If you plot the point where you want her elbow to rest on the table, then you have a first piece figured out of a "pose puzzle", if you will. At any level of expertise, I completely recommend looking into "art anatomy proportions" for constructive purposes. :) There are some great books out there, especially Andrew Loomis' "Figure Drawing for All it's Worth", but look around on the Internet for other sources too.

I could go on about some other stuff, but I'll instead recommend another resource that will explain concepts way better than I: CTRLPaint.com. :) Do check it out, there are a ton of free, informative videos.

Cheers,

-WW

RamenShaman responds:

hey, homie.

thank you so much for your criticism.

thank you for going as in depth as you did as well, it does me so much more good than a simple "good" or "bad", i truly, truly, very sincerely appreciate it.
this is the piece that i'm most excited to come back to and redraw, i'll take all your words to heart.

to answer your question, i had the scene and the pose planned, but i didn't use reference which is probably why it looks bad. i'll heed your advice about the "puzzle", that's insanely helpful.

thanks, again!

Bluaaargh!!!! Bluaaargh!!!!

2 months late, but whatever. I had to review this.

Well... it looks like Electric Asylum Man wants a nail puller, the Corporate Zombie wants a raise, Dracula wants... blood, the Slime/Muck Monster wants someone to love him, and the Werewolf Biker wants meat. Or a hug.

The colors and the style are both great. The shading and textures are just as good, however it looks as if the lighting on the Corporate Zombie's shirt is off. I'm not sure, but it looks strange, like the light is coming from the wrong direction. This doesn't look bad nor ruin the picture, but it just doesn't seem right.

My personal fave is the Werewolf Biker. The style, colors, and shading are fantastic on him.

Great work, man: I faved this a long time ago, but I never got around to reviewing it.

Ney the Werewolf Ney the Werewolf

I can't believe this hasn't been reviewed yet.

This is a great piece of work. Ney is, in a way, kinda cute and huggable looking in both forms. :3 The colours and styles are both fantastic. The shading is, while a little off in a few places, arguably very well done and give it a unique cartoon look. I'd love to see this as a television series... as long as it had an English version, too. :)

Pre-faved! Awesome job, dude. :D